Thanks for using Nomad for Visual Studio. Give us your feedback so we can make the service even better!

Minification of uploaded text content

I'd like if the cloud build would minify the text content uploaded (html, css, js). We minify our regular site's content and I think this would be a nice little enhancement to the service.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew WilkowskiAndrew Wilkowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Serge van den OeverSerge van den Oever commented  · 

There should be a difference between a development build (Debug) and a production build (Release). It should also do things like SASS support, combining Javascript files etc. I currently use http://docpad.org in projects to do this kind of stuff, but you could also use http://brunch.io or another static site generator.

• Serge van den OeverSerge van den Oever commented  · 

@Chris Lambrou: not including minified versions for these kind of libraries would slow down the build process even more... it is already slow.

• Chris LambrouChris Lambrou commented  · 

I note that Nomad's default project template currently contains minified versions of jquery and jquery-mobile. If you add support for automatic minification upon build, it would be useful to replace these minified libraries with their original non-minified counterparts.

I'd like the minification to apply at build time, so that the minified files are present in the build output folders where they tested using the emulator.

Whilst the compression of .apk and .ipa files serves the purpose of reducing the size of an app for distribution, the app is still unpacked once it reaches the target deviceIn principle, minified files would be faster to unpack and would consume less memory. I might try this out first using a custom post-build event to see if it makes any significant performance difference in practice. If it does, I think this would be a useful feature to include.

Feedback and Knowledge Base